My blog

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Phantom of the Opera

On Saturday, August 25, I took my parents to the Phantom of the Opera show in Ottawa. I picked this event to celebrate my mom's birthday. On Saturday morning, my parents arrived at my place in Ottawa. After lunch, grocery shopping, and all the usual weekend routine, we readied ourselves for the big show in the evening. Before leaving for the National Art Center, I looked up the synopsis online to get a basic idea about the opera. Promptly after 7PM, we left for the 8PM show. When we arrived, many cars were already lining up at the entrance to the NAC parking lot. We entered the theater along with a stream of people, young and elderly. Many women were dressed in beautiful night gowns. I put on a sleeveless blue silk dress for the event and my mom wore silk blazer and short pants. After a short wait, we followed the crowd into the theater. Our seats were on the balcony level, which is above ground, mezzanine, and amphitheater. Luckily we brought a binocular.

As the curtain was raised, the show started with the auction of the Paris Opera House. When the chandelier was presented, the seventy years old Raoul started telling the story about the Phantom of the opera...A copy of the synopsis can be found at http://www.reallyuseful.com/rug/shows/phantom/background.htm

Throughout the show, Marni Raab, Greg Mills, and Sean MacLaughlin (singing for Christine, the Phantom, and Raoul) used their incredibly beautiful voice to deliver the pleasing melodies of the opera. The stage was unbelievably complex. For one scene, it was set up for an opera house, in the next scene, it was quickly changed to the Phantom's hideout place at the dark and damp riverside.

By the time the curtain was dropped, I was still mesmerized by the energy and vibrancy of the show. I am so glad that my parents enjoyed the show as much as I did. It could not be a better present for my mom's birthday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home